Depression is a persistent feeling of sadness, hopelessness and loss of interest. There are several types and they can be of varying severity. Feeling down or having the “blues” is extremely common but, should your mood disorder become more severe and uninterrupted you should seek help.
Causes of depression.
Depression can affect men and women of all ages and be triggered by various life challenges.
- Job related
- Marriage compatibility issues
- Disease challenges or chronic medical conditions
- Family history of mental health issues
- Early childhood trauma
- Drug use
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Symptoms of possible depression.
- Mood disorder or mood swings
- Feeling of worthlessness
- Inappropriate emotions
- Inappropriate behavior
- Inability to focus or concentrate
- Loss of sexual interest
- Sleep disorders
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Physical signs such as digestive problems
- Recurring thoughts of death
Diagnosis of depression.
- Psychological evaluation by an expert to determine the type and cause of your depression
- Identify the cause of your stress and try to eliminate it
- Make healthy lifestyle choices
- Avoid alcohol and drugs
- Exercise to release those endorphins
- Communicate with supportive family or friends
- Marriage counseling
- Financial counseling
- Psychological evaluation and psychotherapy – individual or group counseling
- Alternative medicine options such as meditation or acupuncture
Visit www.HEALTHdrum.com Come join our healthcare community and discover how consumer-directed, self pay care can save you a bundle of money and put healthcare control back in your hands.
Written by HEALTHdrum